Monday 8 February 2010

Art Play Journals

I journal daily. I also have my art journal which is a visual/written record of my art journey. I have my work journal which contains everything work related, but I wanted to start another kind of journal – where I could… just… well… play!

I started with a spiral bound sketchbook page, some pictures from a magazine which I glued down as background and then scratched to create a distressed look, then painted over with watercolours. I decided to rub gold shoe polish randomly over the page…

Next I transferred paint from the first page to a second one using scrunched up tissue paper, then painted the suggestion of a flower with nail polish (mental note: do more with nail polish!)…

Below is the painted page on which I tested the effect of painting with mushed up tissue paper before doing the whole page above. I then glued on a picture from a magazine which will later on be painted over and then who knows what else…

I realized by the third page that the paper I was working on was way too thin so I found a nice big bound sketchbook that would accept light washes and glued the painted pages into it, cutting off the excess strips, which promptly became the basis of a woven piece. I adhered torn air mail writing paper, then laid an overwash with watered-down gold acrylic (rules? what rules?)…

Here's the back of the above page from another angle, lots of potential for another time…

Meanwhile I painted yet another page with the excess paint from the woven piece above. I smooshed some circles in watercolour crayons, painted over some more, this time blending the crayoned circles, crayoned some more, painted and blended yet again, then used interference paints to go over all of the circles…

Each time I had excess paint or medium I mushed it onto another sheet of paper, even the paper towel I used to rub one medium onto one page got torn up and collaged onto another. In short, I had a blast!

So now I have the foundation of five pages to continue playing on and I am completely taken with using an Art Play Journal to explore, experiment and above all… play.

No comments: